Friday, September 23, 2011

Homemade Dishwasher Detergent & Rinse Aid

I'm so excited!! While poking around the blogisphere I came across a post for a natural alternative for JetDry. JetDry is so expensive and it seems that you have to add it constantly. Are you excited to find out what it is? I sure was. So instead of using JetDry, just add vinegar into that compartment of your dishwasher. Yeah, just vinegar. I've been doing this for a few months now, and I can tell you it works great. I haven't had any spots on my glasses, or complaints from my husband, so it must be working!

I found a recipe for Homemade Dishwasher Detergent the other day too. It's super easy, and I had 2 of the three ingredients on hand after making my first batch of Homemade Laundry Soap.

So here is the recipe.

1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing (NOT baking) soda
2 tablespoons citric acid

Simply put the ingredients in a jar and shake well to mix. I am still trying to figure out how much to use, but I think two tablespoons should work. I will update this when I find the perfect amount.



I did have a bit of a problem finding the citric acid.  It said in the post I read that it can be found in the canning section at a grocery store, but I couldn't find it there. And then a lady at customer service said they keep it behind the counter at the pharmacy, but the pharmacy was closed.  I ended up finding it at my local Bulk Barn for $4.59. So you don't have to wander around the store aimlessly like I did, this is what it looks like.


I haven't been using it for very long so I don't know if I like it or not. If you try this, I'd love to know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment