Wednesday, July 27, 2011

30 Things

On July 24th, 2011 something happened. Something I've been dreading for years. Something that is totally unavoidable and that has caused me a great deal of conflict in my mind.

I turned 30. Yup I said it, I'm telling the world. I am no longer a twenty something wife, mother,blogger, homeowner, crafter, fire performer, concert goer,  etc. I'm all that and I'm 30. Do I have to grow up? Do I have to act my age? How exactly is a 30 year old supposed to act? Everyone keeps saying...Ah you're still so young, just wait til you hit 40. That one really hurts. Well I don't want to grow up. I just want to stay me. The girl with all the hobbies.  I can still do that can't I? I don't have to change just because I had a birthday that sent me into a different decade. (ugh). Nope I'm not going to. I've decided to create a list of 30 things I want to do while I'm 30. Some of these are fun, some will not be fun at the time but will be satisfying in the end and I'm sure some of them will force me out of my comfort zone, causing me to grow. Some will not really be measurable but i think they still have a place on my list. Hopefully by the end of my 30th year I will be able to look back and see how far I've come. 





30 Things To Do When I'm 30

1. Take a photography course
2. Go on a family vacation somewhere we've never been before
3. Master the Behind the Back Weave
4. Read 50 books. (I was going to put 30 to make it fitting, but that surely isn't enough. The date listed is the date I finished the book)
                    
                     1.  The Happiness Project July 26, 2011. (Dan gave this to me for my birthday. It's 
                   great. I'll be doing a post about this book real soon)
               2. Life's too Short to Fold Fitted Sheets. July 31, 2011 (A book packed full of tips to make housework easier. One being - 10 Things you have to clean, in order, if company is coming in 30 minutes.)
               3. Orchid Blues by Stuart Woods - August 2, 2011
               4. Orchid Beach by Stuart Woods - August 6, 2011 (Just a note - If you read Orchid Blues and Orchid Beach, read Orchid Beach first. I read them in the wrong order.)
               5. Five Days in Paris by Danielle Steel - Aug 7, 2011
5. Exercise Regularly. At least 3 days a week.
6. Quit Smoking
7. Clean out my closets
8. Take a tour of the Mint. (Aren't you interested in how they make money.)
9. Take Pole Dancing Lessons. (I bought my groupon for this and I saved $580. Yahoo. Only $20 for 20 lessons. Now I just have to go.)
10. Make at least 52 crafts/projects, etc. (One a week. I know I won't do one a week, but if they average to that in a year I'll be happy.)
11. Smile at one stranger a day (at least).
12. Create a family tree.
13. Help someone in need.
14. Print the kagillion of pictures on our computer and organize into albums
15. Complete a 5K run
16. Start Photography Project 365
17. Ride in a hot air balloon
18. Go on a real roller coaster. (The only rollercoaster I've ever been on is the one at Tinkertown. I want to go on a huge, crazy scary roller coaster.)
19. Acquire a Serger
20. Start an Africa Saving Account
21. Eye Doctors Appointment
22. Annual check up
23. Be Happy!
24. Volunteer somewhere
25. Create a time capsule with each child to be opened at their wedding.
26. Learn to throw a boomerang
27. Give Blood
28. Open an Etsy Store
29. Write a Novel
30. Have Fun! (I want to remember to have fun where ever I am, whatever I'm doing. Life is way more enjoyable that way.)
Whenever I complete a task I will cross it off my list with the date and hopefully a little explanation of each task.

I just have to add that when I showed my husband this list his response was "Looks like you're gonna be busy". Yes I will be, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be worth it.

If you have a list of things that you want to do this year, I'd love to hear what you have planned.

2 comments: